Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I have a confession to make. I love haiku. Most (if not, all) of you who are reading this probably know already; you were all around during my college years when I was doing those silly postcard haiku clubs. I was so excited to buy my first Richard Wright haiku book so many years ago, This Other World, and it still excites me to read.

But what you probably don't know is that I wrote haiku obsessively during my third and fourth years of school. I wrote it while walking home late at night and while in the car on my way for groceries. I saved what I thought were my best ones in a little notebook I bought in Italy. And, for better or worse, I'm going to air them out here. Here are my first two from way back when, from the drivers' seat of a car. Enjoy.

In concrete we write
our names, scribbling in long loops
across the country.

He stuck his head out
and yelled straight at the girl
standing on the street.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you like haiku?
Martha writes them with passion!
Share the poetry!

-with love, Sahsee

 
At 10:35 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your nautilaus grows
with a shell of green and blue
and a ram's horn curl.

-Haiku's are good for communicating important information, too! :-) I probably should get back to work...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home